Tuesday, February 8, 2011

eight.

You can teach a student a lesson for a day;
but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity,
he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.

Clay Bedford

In my Justice and Peace Studies class, we've been talking about the nature and causes of poverty. Today the topic of where our tax money is distributed came up. I realize that for some people this is a touchy topic, but what frustrated me was my lack of knowledge on the topic. One of my really good friends goes to a military university and I talked to him after class today to see his input on tax money for anti-poverty programs and military forces. I realized that my knowledge of so many aspects of our economy, government, military, etc is lacking and that my desire to learn more about them is increasing.
The only difficulty I have with this is that Creighton I receive an amazing education, but many of the classes I take are immensely impacted by the Jesuit values of the university. I feel that hearing both sides of the topics would help me make these decisions for myself rather than basing them off the side I am often presented with here. I want to take this challenge, but I don't know where to begin because there are so many different entities, influences, and viewpoints that it tends to become overwhelming. So I guess the logical place to start is by picking up a few newspapers and watch the news more often to study as much as possible about as many topics as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment